Sunday, February 3, 2008

EASTERNS....PODIUM!!!


I travelled to Ottawa to participate in the Eastern Canadian Championships last weekend. Despite being uncertain if I wanted to even continue racing, I'm glad I went! the women's field was a little bit diluted, as three of key distance women were missing, but otherwise it was a great weekend and a chance to try some new things.


I finished 4th in the sprint and 2nd in the 15km classic. Given it was a slightly dilluted field, I decided to try a different tactic...no matter what GO HARD, RACE GUTSY, DON'T BE AFRAID TO FAIL...as it turns out, it works!


The sprint was so much more fun when I approached it with confidence- I mean who doesn't love a super hilly, mushy course? Okay I may be the only one as it seems to slow the "pure" sprinters down. I was coming into the finish in 3rd and got out lunged by Andrea Dupont- however, I never saw the photo finish photo. Either way I need to learn how to do that!


Then Sunday was the 15km classic Mass Start. This is my worst event. I dread it. BUT not this time, I forced myself to be confident and it seemed to pay off. We started hard and kept the pressure on. After 2km there were four of us left and after 7.5 I was still with Dasha- it seems though I just ran out of steam and lost a bit of focus over the 2nd lap as I got dropped, but it was a good race for me and I'm excited that I actually felt comfortable classic skiing.


No comments:

ABOUT ME:

I love the mountains, the snow and the inspiration and motivation they give me to pursue my athletic and life pursuits!