Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Grandpa's Birthday

Today is my grandpa's birthday. He turns 85 I believe. My birthday is on the 14th. When I was growing up, we celebrated together- the cake often read "Happy Birthday Brooke and Grandpa". I tried to make it hope this week to have a reunion of sorts of this occasion. It didn't happen- I have selfishly decided to stay here and "prepare" for the first intensity block of the season. Hopefully in about ten days time we can have a celebration together.

My Grandpa is quite the character. I learned to play "spoons" on my knee when I was about 6 at a camp fire while camping with my grandparents somewhere in Ontario- Kill Bear most likely- we liked it there. My Grandpa (Frank) played the Guitar (pronounced with a "hard" G in a southern accent would be the best way to say it- like my Grandpa). Comin' round the mountain was the favourite- actions included (My Grandpa's Yee Haw's echoed throught campsite). Every kid at the campground would be at our campsite by dark- ready with different instruments (sticks, harmonica's, pots and pan's) but I always had the spoons.

His laugh is infectious. His love of music and dancing is even more infectious. My favourite memory as an adult was watching my Grandma and Grandpa dance together to a Rod Stewart Hits DVD my mom got for Christmas. Or perhaps, my grandpa listening to the radio of a baseball game under his pillow.

There is also the hidden buckets of Neopotian ice cream that he is not supposed to eat. And of course golf balls he re-sells in egg cartons that he has "simply come across in random places".

At any rate, I am excited to go home and "hang with the grandparents" as my brother likes to say...

No comments:

ABOUT ME:

I love the mountains, the snow and the inspiration and motivation they give me to pursue my athletic and life pursuits!