Monday, March 3, 2008

Alberta Cup- Tawatina and Athabasca

This weekend I travelled with the Foothills Ski Club (as an assistant helper to the Youth Racing Group) to the Alberta cups in Northern Alberta. By Northern Alberta I mean 5 hours North or Calgary. We stayed in Westlock, home of the world record harvest!

I will admit the actual towns lacked a little bit of pizazz, BUT the ski trails did not dissapoint. Tawatina had some of the funnest trails I have skiied on in a long time- they had lots of rolling and twisting sections, coupled with some punishing uphills. We didnt' get to race a distance race on these courses, but I will say that if we did, they would be pretty tough- there isn't a moment of rest anywhere. The problem with courses on the praries is that no matter if you can see the lodge, for some reason I always get lost. This time I wasn't the only one, a lot of the parents who were on a ski between the heats of the sprints were also lost!

Then we raced at Athabasca on some pretty crazy courses for the distance classic races. The course was pretty much a single track luge course- there were small briges, two technical icy downhills, long climbs mixed with short steep harringbone hills- You pretty much changed technique every 100m, it was AWESOME! I love this style of racing a lot more then grinding my way to the top of a mountain and then coming rocketing down. I love the idea of having to pace, look ahead and adjust your technique- it is a lot more fun and interesting.

I just wanted to thank Chris Jeffries, Mike Cavaliere and the Foothills group for letting me tag a long!!

Brooke

No comments:

ABOUT ME:

I love the mountains, the snow and the inspiration and motivation they give me to pursue my athletic and life pursuits!